Friday, October 30, 2009

Unhappy anniversary to me.

10 years ago to this day something happend and it has changed my life ever since. To this day I still look at a certain type of person differently. I don't hate anyone, but I guess I could be a little predjudice. It was the day after my 21st birthday and I was excited to go out with my ID. I was finally legal to drink at a bar. I had to work on my birthday so we saved the festivities for the night after. I happened to be single at the time so a couple friends and I combed the mall looking for something new to wear for the big night. The plans were to go to dinner and meet up downtown at a bar. Where im from downtown has about 11 bars and its in a decent size city. While looking for a place to park I'm on my flip phone letting my friends know where im at and how long I will be until I get to the bar. Where I parked to the bar was 3 blocks. After I got out of the car and started heading to the bar I saw a man sitting on the side walk. As I got closer he appeared to be upset. I asked him if everything was ok and he mumbled. From what I remember I leaned in and asked him again if he was ok. Next thing I remember was that I was on a stretcher in an ambulance on my way to the hospital with my sister next to me freaking out.
It took a while to piece things together, but I did and this is what happened.
The police report stated while I was bending down to help this person someone came from behind and hit me in the head with a brick. I have about a 4 inch scar on the back of my head. After I fell to the ground the person who I thought was injured stabbed me in the back with a knife. I also have a scar on my back to remind me of the pain i went through. So I was setup, beaten and robbed. Luckily someone had wittnessed this hollered and spooked my attackers so they would flee. The wittness called 911 and my friends happened to show up shortly after looking for me because it was about an hour after I said I would be there. My sister knew something was wrong when I wasnt answering my phone. My attackers each served 7 years in prison for robbery and attempted murder. For being in the wrong place at the wrong time what did they get? $150 in cash, a crappy cell phone. $200 watch and a $80 pair of sneakers. So now when I see a homeless person or someone who resembles a homeless person I remember that night. It doesn't matter the race or gender of the individual I still think of that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment